Many a weekend starts off with a series of questions from the littlest household member about how well I grocery shopped that week.
“Do we have powdered sugar?”
“Do we have butter?”
“Do we have almond flour, lavender extract and light corn syrup?”
Sooo we meander on to the next recipe until I can successfully answer “yes” to all ingredient inquiries.
This week has been particularly dreary. (Yeah, yeah. April showers.) So I wanted to make some kind of sweet treat that made me feel all Eastery and trick me into thinking the sun was shining.
Do I typically have half a dozen fresh lemons resting perfectly in my fruit basket? Nope.
But I really felt it was a must to combat my rain-overload disorder with some fresh and delicious lemony goodness. Turns out, this recipe was worth the extra trip to the store.
These cream puffs will surely bring you all the Easter feels and put that “spring” back in your step.
Rain? What rain.
Lemon Spring Cream Puffs
A light pastry puff filled with a fluffy lemon filling.
For the Pastry Puff
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 eggs
For the Lemon Filling
- 1 egg, slightly beaten
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp butter, cubed
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tsp sugar
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Lemon zest (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Add water and butter to a medium size saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add flour all at once and stir into a smooth ball. Remove from heat and let sit for about 5 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to your electric mixer, and add eggs one at a time with the whisk attachment. Beat until smooth.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper and brush water over the top.
- Fill piping bag with pastry dough and pipe onto baking sheet. Make the circles about three inches in diameter and about three inches apart. They will expand in the oven.
- Bake for 20 mins, and remove from oven when tops are just starting to get golden brown.
- Transfer to wire rack.
- Squeeze your lemons, removing seeds.
- Combine beaten egg, sugar, cubed butter, and lemon juice.
- Cook over medium heat while stirring until thickened.
- Transfer to a small bowl and refrigerate until partly set, about ten minutes.
- In your electric mixer, beat heavy whipping cream and sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Gently fold the lemon mixture into the whipping cream.
- Add lemon zest if you want your filling a little more lemony.
- Gently slice the pastry puffs in half.
- Fill pastry bag with lemon filling and pipe into the bottom half of the pastry, replacing top when filled.
- Dust puffs with powdered sugar and lemon zest. Enjoy!
Next, Prepare the filling…
Recipe adapted from: